What you will learn from this tutorial:
1. How to register with TranslatorsCafe.com for FREE
2. How to create a basic profile
3. How to find jobs in your language pairs
To make the most of TranslatorsCafe you need to register and create a FREE profile. Although there is a paid membership option this is absolutely unnecessary. Creating a profile will allow you to filter job offers by language pair, see clients’ contact information and apply directly through the site.
I’ve put together a quick tutorial showing you how to register for free, create a simple profile and start looking for job offers for your language pairs.
Top tip: read the tutorial on your smart phone or tablet instead of juggling between browser windows on your laptop. Or just click the button below to download and print the pdf version.
Registering with TranslatorsCafe
1. Go to translatorscafe.com. It should look like this:
2. Click on “Register” (see Figure 1) and then fill out the form as follows:
Country: select country
Postal (ZIP) code: enter post code
User name: choose something professional (not crazyknickers777) but feel free to remain anonymous (I used my initials for a very long time).
E-mail address: enter your work e-mail address
Password: choose something you will remember
Confirm password: repeat your password
Question and Answer: ignore these fields
Tick the box next to “I have read and accept the translatorscafe.com user registration rules and terms and conditions of use”.
3. Click on “Submit”. Wait to receive an email from TranslatorsCafe.
4. When you get the email from TranslatorsCafe click on the link in the e-mail. You should be be taken to this webpage:
Great, your TranslatorsCafe profile has been created!
There is a lot of information you can add to this profile to improve your success rates, but today we’re going to stick to the basics, i.e. what you need to start applying for translation projects today.
Creating a basic profile on TranslatorsCafe
1. If you’ve followed the tutorial so far you should still be on the page shown above. Click on “Submit or Update your Profile” (see Figure 2). You will be taken to a page that looks like this:
2. Click on “Languages” (see Figure 3). You will see this:
3. Choose your mother tongue and click on “Add Mother Tongue”. Add your language pairs, uncheck the tickbox and click “Add Pair of Languages” (see Figure 4). Now you can start looking for translation jobs!
Finding jobs on TranslatorsCafe
Click on “Jobs” in the menu bar at the top and then “Translation Job Board” (see Figure 5). You’ll see that the jobs have already been filtered for your language pair. Add this page to your bookmarks so you can regularly check new jobs in your language pairs.
Now that you know how to find translation clients on Proz and TranslatorsCafe, click here for some more tips on finding new clients.